Spaces for our 2021 summer internship position are filled, however, we’d love to stay in touch for our 2022 summer internship role!
You can apply below to express your interest in being considered for our 2022 software engineer summer internship. We will be in touch after the summer to guide you through the next steps.
Please note that to be eligible for our 2022 summer internship you must be a penultimate year student (graduating in 2023) based in the European region.
Do you want to experience working at a company that is at the cutting edge of technology, running a global network with thousands of high-performance low-latency applications, generating petabytes of data every day? Are you interested in boosting your future career? Then apply for the Summer Internship at Optiver in Amsterdam!
To get a glimpse of one of what you can expect, watch one of our past summer interns having a lovely time in Amsterdam
Technology at Optiver
Since trading on the floor changed to screen-based trading, we constantly need the most advanced technology, trading software and connections to the market. In short, we need the best Engineers to develop, optimise and support our systems and tools. The atmosphere we are working in is fast, but exciting. This makes Tech at Optiver a great challenge whereby expertise, innovation and fun go hand in hand every day.
What you’ll do
During this internship you will be responsible for your own project from day one, guided along the way by a senior developer assigned as your mentor. You will interact closely with our traders and researchers, directly impacting the end-results of the company. During the program you will also join several lectures to learn about trading and our other departments to get a full understanding of our business.
Examples of potential projects that you could be working on:
- The performance of our systems – profiling and optimizing our software and hardware
- Developing tools in close collaboration with our traders to improve our trading strategies
- Building a powerful tool to find errors in our systems by turning huge amounts of data into useful information
In all cases you can expect that all projects will be a valuable contribution to our business, focusing on actual issues that we face and like to see solved.
What you need to be successful
You are eager to learn and a logical thinker. You are able to explain your thoughts clearly through written and verbal communication and ask the right questions. You look for opportunities to get out of your comfort zone and like frequent change, always staying on top of things and keep improving.
- You are a penultimate year student in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent (finishing studies in 2023) in the European region;
- You are proficient in either C++, C# or Java
- Have the ability and desire to write simple and clean code;
- Have an entrepreneurial attitude
- Have an interest in the financial industry (previous knowledge is not required);
- You are based in the European region.
What you can expect from us
An energetic and collaborative work culture with ambitious, down-to-earth colleagues. We constantly ask ourselves how to do better, which creates a stimulating and fun environment
To be concrete:
- A 2-month internship taking place in July and August 2022
- Mentoring and feedback from senior engineers on how to write clean, lean and pragmatic code, and solve complex problems with simple solutions
- Competitive salary
- (Paid) furnished housing arrangement provided by Optiver in the city centre of Amsterdam
- Awesome social events and outings
- Free breakfast and lunch provided at Optiver, weekly massages & a bicycle to explore Amsterdam
- Most importantly, the possibility to receive a full-time offer upon completion of internship
- Have a look at this video to get a glimpse of the Optiver internship experience
The first step after applying for this job is an online (HackerRank) test assessing your programming fundamentals (in C++, C# or Java) that will be manually reviewed for code quality by senior developers.
following your HackerRank test the next steps will be:
- Remote HR interview (30 minutes)
- Remote Technical interview (45 minutes)
- Remote final interview day (both technical and not technical interviews)