Are you a final year student or recent graduate with a passion for quantitative problem solving or financial markets? Do you like challenges and want to kick start your career in Taipei? Do you want to work with passionate people and apply your quantitative ability in a collaborative environment? If so, Optiver is the right place for you! We have graduate positions in Taipei and our applications open on Oct 4th 2021.
Optiver is a leading global electronic market maker, focused on pricing, execution and risk management. We provide liquidity to financial markets using our own capital, at our own risk, trading a wide range of products: listed derivatives, cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign currencies.
We have a performance-driven culture and continually strive for enhanced knowledge, improved systems and streamlined processes. We are passionate about creating value for the business and supporting the continued success of Optiver. We believe in people with ideas who challenge the status quo and want to help you reach your potential. We also have an extensive list of amazing perks, designed to keep our employees happy and healthy while they work.
About the job
Every day will present you with new problems and interesting challenges to solve. Traders are always looking for patterns, applying their brand of mathematics and problem solving in order to understand the dynamics of financial markets. The markets are always changing. Yesterday’s strategies may be obsolete today. It’s up to you and your team to drive our success through Optiver’s market leading technology-stack. From your first day on the trading floor, you’ll have autonomy and responsibility to make decisions and make an immediate impact. You’ll be:
- Constantly looking for creative quantitative solutions to real world events ahead of the competition
- Developing your own robust models and algorithms to offer the best price on the products you trade
- Building tools, conducting analysis and leading projects that take your team’s trading strategies to the next level
- Working collectively with leading Traders, Technologists and Researchers in the industry, to stay at the top of our game.
You don’t need to understand the financial markets. We’ll teach you that. You will go to Sydney to attend our renowned Trader training program which will provide you with everything you need to know – the theory, the markets, the strategies and the technology. You’ll go through a steep and continuous learning curve that will challenge and develop you. You’ll have:
- Heads of Trading and Technology Education, dedicated to providing the guidance and feedback that will ensure you’re ready to hit the trading floor running
- A highly collaborative classroom style environment to help you build foundational trading knowledge
- A simulated trading environment with live market data, allowing you to enhance your decision-making skills in real-time
- Multiple opportunities to shadow experienced Traders on the trading floor, as well as spend time with senior mentors
- After three months, you’ll join an existing trading team and take responsibility for your own spot; a live market with real money and real risk. With guidance from your experienced team, you’ll be immediately contributing to our business.
Skills and Experience
You’re a lateral thinker quick to apply your brand of maths to understand quantitative problems. You have an interest in a variety of activities that could be classed as quantitatively challenging, fast paced, competitive or analytically rigorous. You’re also a strong believer in the power of collaborative problem solving. You may already be passionate about trading, or it may have only recently piqued your interest.
One of Optiver’s key strengths is our breadth of trading strategies. We recruit for a variety of skillsets, and through the training program we’ll identify in which of the following areas you best fit.
Options Market Maker
You love puzzles, predictions and problem solving. You’re always hungry to learn. You’re driven to understand the why, and you’re also comfortable making decisions under uncertainty. You have a real passion for quantitative problems and a flair for numbers.
Delta 1 Trader
You have a love for statistical analysis and deriving insights from big data sets. You enjoy micro analysis and applying those insights to the bigger picture. You possess a competitive spirit that drives you to never settle for 'good enough'.
Building rapport comes naturally to you. You enjoy developing strong relationships and you don’t take yourself too seriously. You have amazing communication skills and remain focused under pressure. You’re passionate about quantitative problems and have a flair for numbers. And you have an inherent drive to work in a fast paced, sometimes uncertain environment.
- A final year/Honours/Masters/PhD student or a recent graduate (up to 4 years)
- Fluent in English
What we offer
- Strong collaboration
- Autonomy and responsibility
- Generous benefits
- Leadership and growth opportunities
Our flat structure makes it easier to get things done. Everyone is empowered to deliver significant changes, supported by your team and your leaders. We value people who are committed to always delivering their best work, so we give people the autonomy to deliver solutions and direct their own career.
Optiver encourages Taiwanese nationals to apply.