How does Optiver accurately price hundreds of thousands of interconnected financial products in real-time? In one word: data. Data science is at the very core of Optiver’s pricing strategies. Our Data Science teams tackle fascinating challenges that exist at the intersection of technology and trading – a space with some of the most complex and exciting volumes of financial market data. With world-class skills that can cut through the noise, Optiver's Data Science teams directly impact the precision and scalability of our 35+ year trading business.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilizing force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you'll do:
As Optiver’s Data Science intern, your standout statistical analysis and engineering skills will help us automate, professionalise and enhance the robustness of the firm’s systems and workflows. As part of this internship, you’ll be working within our trading, finance, settlements or risk team. But no matter in which part of the business you’re focused, you’ll closely collaborate with developers, control departments and traders to turn complex data-processing problems into scalable solutions. With your entrepreneurial spirit, the opportunities to improve our trading systems – and the market – are endless. You can expect to:
- Create and streamline data pipelines to extract, transform and load data streams from various sources into our SQL data warehouse: from terabytes of raw market data to data streams from external parties such as our clearing house
- Be directly responsible for creating ETL data pipelines and analysing data sets
- Design and build data schemas and pre-processed data sets
- Design and implement metrics, reports, analyses and dashboards that analysts use for monitoring and making key business decisions
- Get to see your tools and impact in production
Who you are:
In terms of skills and qualifications, we're looking for:
- Penultimate year student in Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Engineering, Finance or equivalent, with ability to work full-time upon graduation in 2024
- Advanced knowledge of Python and SQL
- Affinity with data and data-processing systems
- A pro-active problem-solving nature
- Competitive attitude and eagerness to constantly improve yourself
- Great attention to detail
- Fluency in English (Dutch is not required)
What you'll get:
- An 8/9-week internship (July-August 2023) working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries
- Competitive salary
- Fully furnished apartment in the city center of Amsterdam
- Awesome social events and outings
- Free breakfast, lunch and dinner provided at Optiver, bi-weekly massages & a bicycle to explore Amsterdam
- Most importantly, the possibility to receive a full-time offer upon completion of internship
How to apply:
Are you interested in furthering your career on one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe?
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Data Science Intern. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be reviewed. When we think there is a potential match, you will hear from us sooner than you expect. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Recruiter Bernice Juk via [email protected].
Please note, if you are selected from your application to proceed to the next round for the position of Data Science Intern, you will be required to take an online assessment.
Following your assessments, the next steps will be:
- Remote HR Interview
- Remote Technical Interview
- Take home programming assignment
- Remote final Interview day (both technical and not technical interviews)
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role.
As an intentionally flat organization, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.