Unfortunately we have closed the application for summer internships for this year but if you are interested in applying for next year, please see below!
Get ready for eight weeks immersed in the fast-paced, dynamic world of market making.
As Optiver's Software Engineer Summer Intern, you'll fully own projects that directly impact Optiver's world-class trading systems. Experience the thrill of tight feedback loops and shipping your code to production. Receive feedback from our senior Traders, and receive mentorship from the industry’s best and brightest technologists. This is your chance to make a direct impact on a leading trading firm, while launching your career in engineering.
If you’re looking to work in a challenging international environment and have a passion for solving complex problems, apply today to kick-start your future.
To get a glimpse of one of what you can expect, watch one of our past summer interns having a lovely time in Amsterdam
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
Technology at Optiver:
Since trading on the floor changed to screen-based trading, we constantly need the most advanced technology, trading software and connections to the market. In short, we need the best Engineers to develop, optimise and support our systems and tools. The atmosphere we are working in is fast, but exciting. This makes Tech at Optiver a great challenge whereby expertise, innovation and fun go hand in hand every day.
What you’ll do:
As a Software Engineer intern, you'll work side-by-side with your mentor to build latency-critical applications that directly improve the market. From day one you’ll tackle real issues that need to be solved through projects that further develop and optimise our systems. Each day will bring new challenges requiring your fresh perspective. You'll own end-to-end projects, from developing to testing to shipping your code to production. It's an unrivalled opportunity to accelerate your knowledge and make your mark on Optiver's core business.
You will also have the chance to join industry lectures to learn about trading and our other departments to gain a complete understanding of Optiver and our business. Don't worry, you won't be expected to have previous knowledge of the financial industry! You'll be educated and upskilled by our world-class trainers in order to hit the ground running.
Examples of potential projects that you could be working on:
- The performance of our systems – profiling and optimizing our software and hardware
- Developing tools in close collaboration with our traders to improve our trading strategies
- Building a powerful tool to find errors in our systems by turning huge amounts of data into useful information
In all cases you can expect that all projects will be a valuable contribution to our business, focusing on actual issues that we face and like to see solved.
Who you are:
You are eager to learn and a logical thinker. You are able to explain your thoughts clearly through written and verbal communication and ask the right questions. You look for opportunities to get out of your comfort zone and like frequent change, always staying on top of things and keep improving.
- You are a penultimate year student in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent (finishing studies in 2024)
- You have a desire to step outside your comfort zone and face fresh challenges every day
- You have a passion for technology and an interest in the financial industry
- You enjoy solving complex problems and can clearly articulate solutions both verbally and written
- You are based in Europe
- You are proficient in either C++, C# or Java
What you'll get:
An energetic and collaborative work culture with ambitious, down-to-earth colleagues. We constantly ask ourselves how to do better, which creates a stimulating and fun environment
To be concrete:
- A 9 week internship program taking place in July and August 2023
- Mentoring and feedback from senior engineers on how to write clean, lean and pragmatic code, and solve complex problems with simple solutions
- Competitive salary
- (Paid) furnished housing arrangement provided by Optiver in the city centre of Amsterdam
- Awesome social events and outings
- Free breakfast and lunch provided at Optiver, weekly massages & a bicycle to explore Amsterdam
- Most importantly, the possibility to receive a full-time offer upon completion of internship
- Have a look at this video to get a glimpse of the Optiver internship experience
How to apply:
The first step after applying for this job is an online (HackerRank) test assessing your programming fundamentals (in C++, C# or Java) that will be manually reviewed for code quality by senior developers.
following your HackerRank test the next steps will be:
- Remote HR interview (30 minutes)
- Remote Technical interview (45 minutes)
- Remote final interview day (both technical and not technical interviews)
Due to current restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, only current residents within the European Economic Area, Switzerland, and UK will be considered for this application.
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.