Are you ready to start your career in the field of Market Risk Management within a fast-paced, dynamic and international trading company? Do you have an interest in financial markets and would like to explore it from the inside? Would you like to apply your strong technical and analytical skills to improve our low-latency risk framework?
If the thought of early responsibility and fast career progression in a truly dynamic environment excites you, then you might be the new Market Risk Manager we’re looking for.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you’ll do:
You will become part of the Market Risk team located on the trading floor and join-in for the daily monitoring activities of our trading book. Next to daily monitoring you will also perform in-depth risk assessments for current but also new trading activities to ensure that our risk framework caters for all market risks that we may face as Optiver.
You will also play an important role in developing and maintaining our market risk models in close collaboration with trading and research. To make sure we can see our risk profile real-time, you will closely work together with our technology team to ensure proper implementation in the market risk systems.
Next to your focus on the market risks of our trading book, you will be actively involved in staying in control of our capital requirements and understanding the impact of trading decisions on these requirements as well. Touching multiple aspects of the business, you will work together with other control departments on a daily basis as every day will bring new and exciting challenges.
Other key tasks of the Market Risk Manager include:
- Assisting in the enhancement of risk processes by identifying and evaluating business critical exposures;
- Overseeing the monitoring and control of the positions in the trading books on a real-time basis to make sure that business activities remain within the pre-defined risk appetite;
- Actively contributing to the continuous improvement of the risk framework;
- Effectively, credibly and critically challenging others when necessary as a second line of defense;
- Coordinating assurance and testing efforts of existing risk controls;
- Expertly assessing new business activities to ensure risks arising from new products, activities and markets are properly mitigated.
Who you are:
- An academic degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Econometrics, Finance, Physics or equivalent;
- 0-3 years of experience in a similar role and sector;
- A proactive and analytical mindset with eye for detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an eagerness to continuously improve;
- A strong affinity for technology and data handling where experience with SQL, Python and VBA would be considered a distinct plus;
- A keen interest in the financial markets.
What you’ll get
- The chance to start your career working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Our performance based bonus structure is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
Alongside this you will get great secondary benefits such as 25 paid vacation days, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, training opportunities, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, Friday afternoon drinks and even weekly in-house chair massages. Being highly international, we are accustomed to guiding expats through their relocation, offering competitive relocation packages and providing visa sponsorship where necessary.
How to apply:
Are you interested in furthering your career on one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe?
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Market Risk Manager. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be reviewed. When we think there is a potential match, you will hear from us sooner than you expect. If you have any questions feel free to contact our Recruiter Jolijn Kruyne at [email protected]
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role.
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.