Our Linux Team ensures our trading servers work so we can trade. They establish that our production environment works optimally by deploying, maintaining, monitoring and operating a fleet of UNIX servers to its highest possible performance.
You will join a highly-customized environment where proprietary tools and technology run. You will be expected to help build the pioneering tools to keep our systems best-in-class.
Who we are:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. As one of the oldest market making institutions, we are a trusted partner of 50+ exchanges across the globe. Our mission is to constantly improve the market by injecting liquidity, providing accurate pricing, increasing transparency and acting as a stabilising force no matter the market conditions. With a focus on continuous improvement, we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets for everyone who participates.
Our Amsterdam office is where it all began. Over 35 years ago, Optiver’s business started with a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Stock Exchange. Since our 1986 founding, Optiver’s Amsterdam office has grown into one of the most dynamic and exciting trading floors in Europe. Our culture reflects the Dutch capital city’s progressive, innovative and inclusive nature. With its unique spirit, Amsterdam is the ideal hub for our teams to trade a wide range of products from listed derivatives to cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign exchange.
What you'll do:
- Tackle the life cycle of a server and build and deploy new solutions
- Upgrade, maintain and execute changes to the UNIX servers
- Performance monitoring and managing the system capacity
- Fix and analyse technical incidents, solve technical ad hoc problems
- Lead our charge to intelligent automation
- Be the connection between hardware and software
- Research new technologies and solutions, implement them or build better
Who you are:
- A Linux Admin meets SRE/Programming mindset to help build the right tools for our continual improvement
- Experience within a high-performance computer environment where the result matters
- Some focus on automating and solid scripting skills (e.g. PowerShell and/or Python)
- Infrastructure-as-Code with an Ansible flavor
- Understand how and where to kill snowflakes
- Knowledge of virtualization and networking, plus an emphasis in bare metal.
- Experience with cloud providers as AWS or Azure a bonus
- A proactive approach to problem solving
- High attention to detail coupled with strong communication skills
- The ability to multitask and handle priorities in collaboration with other teams
No prior trading or financial experience is needed – our onboarding program will kick-start your career at Optiver and support you in gaining all the relevant knowledge about our business.
What you’ll get:
- The chance to start your career working alongside best-in-class professionals from over 40 different countries.
- Our performance based bonus structure is unmatched anywhere in the industry. We combine our profits across desks, teams and offices into a global profit pool fostering a truly collaborative environment to work in.
Alongside this you will get great secondary benefits such as 25 paid vacation days, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, training opportunities, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, Friday afternoon drinks and even weekly in-house chair massages. Being highly international, we are accustomed to guiding expats through their relocation, offering competitive relocation packages and providing visa sponsorship where necessary.
How to apply:
Apply directly via the form below for the position of Linux Systems Engineer. Please provide us with a CV and letter of motivation in English. Applications without a letter of motivation will not be reviewed. When we think there is a potential match, you will hear from us sooner than you expect.
Please note, if you are selected from your application to proceed to the next round for the position of Linux Systems Engineer you will be required to take an online assessment.
Kindly note that we do not require any assistance from third-parties including agencies in the recruitment of this role.
As an intentionally flat organization, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.