Optiver's Linux Systems Engineers create, deploy, and support a stable OS platform for our production trading environment. We maintain the same engineering principles and standards across all our development and operations teams, including a strong focus on simple designs and deterministic behavior. We are looking for engineers who have strong attention to detail, who have a willingness to learn and adapt, and who have the extreme operational rigor it takes to maintain and expand the firm's critical Linux infrastructure.
What You’ll Do:
- Deploy, maintain, and support the Linux OS on the firm's production trading servers
- Create repeatable and deterministic server builds with collaborative input from development, trading, and hardware teams
- Continually drive production OS systems toward cleanliness, simplicity, and reliability
- Develop and maintain Ansible-based and custom server build and management tooling
- Monitor and analyze servers to ensure they are stable and performing optimally
- Troubleshoot OS problems and prevent them from recurring
- Act as an expert resource for performance tuning of the operating system, kernel, and server hardware
- Support and expand data storage and compute clusters
- Collaborate with other operations, development, and trading teams to solve business challenges
- Work at a technology-driven company where you can make an immediate impact
What You’ll Need:
- Degree in Engineering, Science, or Technology (or equivalent experience)
- Experience with Linux system administration
- Proficiency with programming or scripting (python preferred)
- Experience with mechanized build systems is a plus (Ansible preferred)
- Broad understanding of OS fundamentals, Linux system internals, computer hardware, and network protocols
- A willingness and aptitude for learning new skills and adapting to new technologies
- Knowledge of finance or trading is not required
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for
employment authorization for this job opening
Who we are:
Optiver is a leading proprietary trading firm using technology to provide the most up-to-date and competitive prices in financial products around the world. Put simply, we improve the markets. Achieving this requires excellence in everything we do. That’s not merely an aspiration, but our reason for being.
We’re seeking people who up the ante with nerve, with guts and, most importantly, with heart. We’re looking for the bold. Does that describe you? Then opt in.
Given the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, Optiver US is managing its business remotely. Please note this opportunity will not be remote long-term and employees will be expected to work in the office once it is safe to do so.