Optiver is a leading trading firm driven by technology with over one thousand employees globally. We pioneer our own trading strategies and systems using clean code and sophisticated technology, running a global network with thousands of high-performance, low-latency applications that solve problems in nanoseconds.
As a Development SRE, you will ensure we can trade. Working as part of the Linux team it is your responsibility to connect our traders to our market places via a complex world of on-premise, bare-metal servers based across our vast, global colocation network back to us via our proprietary data center. And we need it to happen quickly.
As part of our UNIX team you will develop tooling to help us manage the entire server life cycle by building pioneering software engineered solutions, while keeping in mind pragmatic realities to infrastructure, which is the robust, reliable and powerful foundation to our trading machine.
The goal of this role is to solve the challenges of infrastructure operations with software and we want to build teams with the mix of skills required for that. We look for Software Engineers with interest in the topic but also for people with good understanding of networking or the Linux Kernel internals.
What you'll do:
- Utilize software engineering to develop best-in-class tailored solutions to our UNIX infrastructure;
- Collaborate to tackle our automation challenges by developing your own Python-based solutions and using tools like Ansible;
- Provide operational excellence by monitoring our dashboards for incidents and supporting your operational and development colleagues;
- Hold responsibility for operational tasks like triggering server installs, applying configuration changes, debugging issues, TCP congestion control, eliminating jitter, killing snowflakes and implementing small features (we push hard to split our work 50/50 between operational tasks and development);
- Participate in the design and implementation of our core infrastructure systems.
Example on day to day tasks:
- Provision servers through our automated deployment pipeline;
- Apply configuration changes to our infrastructure;
- Debug production issues;
- Support Developers and Operations teams;
- Plan and coordinate changes in our infrastructure together with other teams in the department.
Some example projects we are working on right now:
- Command line client and HTTP API (we use FastAPI) to provision Linux bare metal servers and networking devices;
- Work on the piece of software that will kill all connections to an exchange to be compliant with regulatory requirements;
- A system to describe our infrastructure and to audit Intent vs Truth in our infrastructure (this is the source for all the Infrastructure as Code that we do).
Some example projects we are planning to work on:
- Replace our monitoring system;
- Replace Cobbler with an image-based solution to achieve minimal provisioning time;
- Remove ourselves from the server provisioning pipeline and give the control to users.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- An ability code in Python or have the propensity to pick it up. If you don't consider yourself a developer, you can do some scripting and work with Linux or networking low levels;
- A strong desire to automate your work with a reluctance to do repetitive tasks but an eagerness to solve problems;
- You think that not all the tools are good for every problem and you can adapt to what the current problem needs;
- Experience with real-life infrastructure and Linux Servers;
- Ideally experience building Python tools for infrastructure automation;
- Experience with configuration management such as Ansible;
- Knowledge of virtualization, networking and bare metal server management;
- The ability to multitask and handle priorities in collaboration with other teams;
- A proactive approach to problem solving with an attention to detail coupled with strong communication skills.
What you can expect from us:
An energetic and collaborative work culture with ambitious, down-to-earth colleagues. We constantly ask ourselves how to do better, which creates a stimulating and fun environment. Competitive remuneration and great secondary benefits such as an attractive profit sharing structure, training opportunities, fully paid first-class commuting expenses, a premium-free pension, discounts on health insurance, breakfast and lunch facilities, sports and leisure activities, weekly chair massages and Friday afternoon drinks. We provide you with the support and tools needed to develop your skills on the job so that you are empowered to perform at your best, both personally and professionally. We also provide relocation assistance.
Interested in working at Optiver?
When you apply, please let us know which technical domain is your strong suit in your cover letter and and provide us with a CV in English.