Our Site Reliability Engineering teams manage our live trading environment. The infrastructure is a combination of vastly distributed systems, high-performance computing and low-latency trading algorithms on one hand, and high-throughput dataflows, huge storage and data analysis on the other. At Optiver we manage our own infrastructure – our live trading environment is based on in-house and collocated at exchanges servers (not in the cloud). We evolve our systems on a daily basis. The challenge is balancing innovation with reliability and performance.
Reliability engineering at Optiver focuses on prevention and swift resolution of operational issues, guarding the reliability and performance of our systems. Reliability to us means having full control over our systems and guaranteeing proper functioning even in the most extreme market conditions. Simplicity and deterministic behavior are important aspects of reliability to us.
As Site Reliability Engineer you will deploy, maintain, monitor and improve the reliability, scalability and performance of our in-house built trading software. Your work areas will include: market access, monitoring and compliance, strategy evaluation and management, performance tuning, and trading automation. The key is the engineering mindset: how you can translate what you see into the design and implementation.
Your role is crucial for our trading activities. Sitting in the middle of the trading floor, you have constant face-to-face interaction with end-users – Traders and Researchers as well as fellow Engineers. You set standards for the production environment – it is an engineering role, not a support role. You’re close to the core business. You have a real, direct impact on our ability to trade and trading results. You work with short feedback loops and flat hierarchy. No two days are the same in our high-stakes environment.
What you need to be successful
- You are a pragmatic, logical thinker. With a facilitating and enabling attitude as well as hands-on mentality, you always strive for the simplest solutions.
- You are naturally curious about hardware and software, and how these interact. You want to work on a broad range of projects using various tool(s) to best solve the problem at hand.
- You can look at code, figure out how it works, and how to make it better.
- You are able to explain your thoughts clearly through written and verbal communication, ask the right questions, and are not afraid to challenge your colleagues.
- You look for opportunities to get out of your comfort zone and like frequent change.
No prior trading experience is needed – our onboarding program will kick-start your career at Optiver and support you in building the knowledge about our business.
In terms of skillset, we're looking for:
- Experience managing day-to-day operations of software and hardware infrastructure;
- Strong affinity with Unix/Linux systems;
- The ability to automate tasks using Python;
- Strong design, debugging, and problem solving skills;
- Experience with relational databases (e.g. we use PostgreSQL but welcome experience with any other database);
- An understanding of networking fundamentals and protocols.
Your first months
We invest a lot of effort making sure that our Engineers understand all aspects of our role in the markets. To start with, we’ll offer you a “Trading for non-Traders” program that will provide you with all the necessary knowledge. While we don’t expect any previous experience in trading, we expect you to have a strong motivation and interest in solving problems within this domain. During the first months, you’ll also learn the ins and outs of our trading systems and the engineering principles that underpin our decision making. With your solid engineering background, you should be able to spot areas for improvements from the very beginning.
What you can expect from us
At Optiver, we have a very flat structure. We work extremely closely with our stakeholders, often working as a single team to solve Optiver’s problems. Individually, you are very highly empowered to deliver significant changes, with the support of your team and your leaders. Above all we value the passion of our technical team and foster a collaborative and innovative working environment which nurtures brilliant minds.
Take a look at this short video to learn more about our core values.
We strive to bring out the best in our people and in return we are fortunate enough to have a great package of benefits. We also provide relocation assistance.
Interested in working at Optiver?
Please apply for the role via the form below and provide us with a CV & cover letter in English. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Patrycja Ostrowska at [email protected]. The first step after applying for this job is an online HackerRank test.