Do you have a flair for numbers, a competitive nature and are you a fast decision-maker under pressure? Then you might have what it takes to become the best student Trader of 2018. Join the most exciting student competition, the Optiver Trading Challenge.
This is the chance to show your talent! The Optiver Trading Challenge is an online trading simulation that allows you to take a seat in the chair of a portfolio trader and put your skills to the test. The challenge allows players to buy and sell a range of securities, including commodities, global currencies and Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) on a mock exchange. Competing against friends and fellow students, your goal is to maximize the return to investors within the Risk and Product constraints. Throughout the competition, you’ll learn and gain a better understanding of the markets and have the opportunity to trade the financial instruments that are used on a daily basis. Your end challenge is to build your own portfolio by Trading.
IS THE TRADING CHALLENGE RIGHT FOR ME?
If you are studying towards an academic Master degree in Economics, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or Computer Science or equivalent, the Trading Challenge is for you.
The competition consists of several stages and only the top performers will progress to the next level. Finalists will compete against other talented students on the Optiver Trading floor to be crowned the best student Trader of 2018!
- First stage: In order to participate in the competition, you will first need to register on the below link.
- Second stage: Traders need to be very good with numbers and making fast decisions, which is where strong mental arithmetic is key. If you are selected to participate, we will require you to complete either an online numerical test or sit the test in person.
- Third stage: Once you have completed these two steps, the real fun begins with the trading simulation. The Optiver team will provide you with credentials to sign in for the competition. Your investment portfolio will be available for one month starting from the day you signed up.
- Fourth stage: Students will be ranked against one another so that the top participants in the trading simulation and numerical test will make it to the semi-final. To become a trader you also need other qualities, such as good communication skills, being a team player, an interest in financial markets, strong analytical and logical reasoning skills. For this reason the semi-final stage will be an online logical reasoning test, followed up by a brief Skype call with a Recruiter and trader assessing these skills.
- Final stage: We will fly you into Amsterdam for an interactive day of trading activities including time spent on a trading simulation based on live financial markets at that time. You will also sit with traders on different desks to learn about options trading at Optiver and play some fun Market Making games. The top performer could be fast tracked in our recruitment process for a Summer Internship or full time trader role or at the very least leave with an awesome prize and we hope experience!
Over thirty years ago, Optiver started business as a single trader on the floor of Amsterdam’s European Options Exchange. Today, we are a leading global electronic market maker, focused on pricing, execution and risk management. We provide liquidity to financial markets using our own capital, at our own risk, trading a wide range of products: listed derivatives, cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign currencies. Our independence allows us to objectively improve the markets and provide efficiencies for end investors. With over one thousand Optiverians globally, our mission to improve the market unites us. Thriving in a high performance environment, we pioneer our own trading strategies and systems using clean code and sophisticated technology. We achieve this by attracting, developing and empowering top talent, in order to sustain our future.
Please note that we may close the competition early due to high demand.